The MGM Resorts Employee Volunteer Program was created to share the passion and talents of our employees with local nonprofit organizations serving the community's critical unmet needs. Since its inception, the Volunteer Program has connected thousands of employee volunteers to charities and causes they are passionate about. Many nonprofit organizations and community events have benefited from our employees' willingness to work hard, not only for our Company, but also for the community.
To facilitate volunteerism, MGM Resorts installed VolunteerMatch, an online system designed to connect employees with causes located in their respective communities. With a powerful search engine and an up-to-date calendar, VolunteerMatch makes it easy for our employees to find opportunities for community engagement. To date, more than 2000 employees are registered in the system and 68,000 volunteer opportunities (for additional information visit: www.volunteermatch.org).
In addition to VolunteerMatch, MGM Resorts encourages its employees to engage the community through company-wide volunteer campaigns held annually. The campaigns' goals are to rally our 61,000 employees around one cause, all at one time, and create lasting positive change in our communities. Campaigns conducted by the Company in 2010-2011 include:
- Make A Difference Day: More than 2,000 employees engaged the community in public service
- The Back to School Donation Drive: More than 2,200 backpacks filled with back to school supplies were donated to local students
- The MGM Resorts Foundation Walk-A-Thon: More than 3,000 employees walked to raise money for their charity of choice
- The KLUC Toy Drive: 8 vans filled with toys and $10,000 from MGM Resorts were donated to Help of Southern Nevada
- The Three Square Canned Food Drive: 38 tons of canned food was donated, marking the largest third-party canned food donation received in the history of Three Square.
To honor our outstanding employee volunteers and encourage volunteerism, MGM Resorts has created two recognition award programs. The Volunteer of the Year Award is presented each year to management and line-level employees who have who have demonstrated the most outstanding commitment to community volunteering. The Shining Star Award recognizes the employees who have made the greatest contribution not only to volunteering themselves, but also to inspiring other Company employees to participate in community volunteerism. Our Company donates $250 to the agency of choice for each of the awards' finalists, and $1,000 to the agency of choice of the awards' winners.
MGM Resorts is proud of its employees' willingness to engage the community and grateful for the role it's been able to play in galvanizing volunteerism. Our quest today for an enduring tomorrow inspires us to strive for a better community and a better world.